Thursday, June 4, 2015

Picture Perfect #1


I wandered mindlessly through the radiant forest, my senses heightened from exhilaration. I always felt a sense of happiness as I walked through the forest, I never knew what it was. Maybe it was something about the trees above, the leaves waving freely. Or was it the gentle breeze that washed over me? It was something. I looked up at the trees, watching the sunlight shimmer between the leaves. Then his deep voice woke me from my trance.

“Hm?” I asked, turning my head to my father.
“Isn’t it beautiful?” He repeated.
“Oh, very.” I strained with his tightening grip on my arm.
“I knew if you were anything like your mother, you’d love this place too.” He smiled at me with a slightly comforting smile.
My smile disappeared whenever he mentioned her and the uncomfortable fear rose back up into my throat.
“Hon, we need to talk about her at some point, it’s almost been a year.”
“I’m just not ready, dad. It-it still hurts.” I feigned.
“Okay…I understand.” He seemed defeated. “It’ll all be okay.” He said in a soft, comforting voice.

“Yeah, just need some time.” I chuckled nervously as I looked down, feeling the soft moss under my feet. I didn’t want to talk about my mother’s death because he didn’t know what I knew. He didn’t know I watched him drag that bag into the trunk of his car. He didn’t know I knew he murdered my mother. He didn’t know I saw him stuff his knife into the picnic basket he brought. But he didn’t know I had one of my own. I knew his plan, and I knew what I had to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment